Dermal Filler + COVID-19 Vaccine
You may have heard reports in the news about a very rare reaction to dermal fillers in some COVID-19 vaccine recipients. Here at Youthology, we’ve been doing our research and wanted to be sure to share some key points to know from these reports that we hope will give you some important information and ease your mind if you are considering fillers along with a vaccine:
1. Vaccines work by ramping up your own bodies immune system in order to help provide you protection from contracting the virus.
2. This immune response basically puts your body on HIGH alert for a few weeks while it is developing viral immunity. During this high alert time your body is more sensitive to recognizing any foreign body as a threat which in RARE cases included the material found in dermal fillers.
3. This is not unique to the Covid-19 vaccine and can be seen with Flu vaccine and others.
4. These reactions reported (2 cases of facial swelling) were not considered serious or life threatening and were very treatable with antihistamines and short course oral steroid.
5. It has long been recommended that people wait to get dermal fillers if they are in an active state of immune response such as when you are sick, experiencing a flare up of an auto-immune disorder and in the acute period following vaccination.
For more information, we recommend this article.
If planning to get the Covid-19 vaccine it is recommended to wait at least 2 weeks after vaccine to get dermal fillers
If you have already received filler and you now want to get the vaccine know that the incidence of reaction in filler patients is extremely rare, highly treatable and not considered a reason to withhold the vaccine from patients requesting it.
If you have any additional questions regarding filler and the Covid-19 vaccine, please call our office: 810-355-4383